Cape Hatteras trip update - week 1.

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Bob
Wind Whore

Cape Hatteras trip update - week 1.

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:40 am

First week here and we have 5 for 5 days of riding. 2 more days to complete the 7 for 7. Turning southerly and SW tomorrow which means all day riding in warm waters and temps.

Last Sunday was day number 4 of strong northerly winds and I was on a 6m in some massive bomb's on the ocean. Myself and a new Canadian friend next door were the only 2 on the water. We easily had many overhead and some doubles with super super long waves. Most closed out quickly but if you caught the right ones, it was magical. Strapless was intense at times, but we made the 6 mile downwinder with no problems. Cool group from Canada next to us.

Anyone who has ridden OBX knows that there are many level of breaks for waves the stronger it gets. The breaks were so far out, that there was never a need to ride "on the inside". It was just plain huge. At times the breaking waves and white wash would go for 200 - 300 YARDS long. Meaning, you had to find a way out the back door. Never seen the ocean here like this. Pretty cool stuff.

Everyone has got in a lot of riding and seeing the progression is fantastic. Steve, Jim, Frank, Grigory, Craig, Rorke and I are all having a great time this week. Great group of guys sharing the stoke, laughing and watching each other ride which makes for an awesome week.

Our house is probably one of the best houses in the region. Tons of shallow water riding and we're also THE closest to the "pool" than any house for foil boarding. With Slingshots short masts program, I could ride the pool yesterday with a 24" mast in waters no-one would ever even consider riding. Winds were out of the N and the sound was emptying out due to tide and wind direction. The 24 inch mast made it possible to even ride the pool when shallow everywhere else. It was probably waist deep in most of the pool. Other times, it's chest deep or even overhead in spots. 8m Rally with long lines and landed some back rooms and back roll kite loops with the foil board. weeeeeeeee..........

The day before, I toured the entire sound area up and down Rodanthe, waves and Salvo. Rode a SW morning breeze with the 30" mast and a 17m Fat Lady kite. Did a 4 mile upwind ride from Rodanthe past Kitty Hawk, past Real and all the way to Salvo Day Use area. This is all shallow waters mostly. Only hit bottom once and it's insane riding with this set up. Slingshot nailed this system and the new Dwarfcraft boards are better than their Alien Airs in my opinion.

This week looks to finish off with another couple of days of great riding and next week should also be good.

Later......>Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi

grigorib
Resident Windfreak

Re: Cape Hatteras trip update - week 1.

Post by grigorib » Tue May 03, 2016 10:34 pm

And we made 14 out of 14 days of riding! Twintip, hydrofoil, surfboard, inflatables, a Flysurfer, an 16m Peter Lynn ARC - got it all on water. Saw Rocky Chatwell ride, saw progression from barely getting on a board to upwind in a week. Few folks got zapped by built-up static electricity in the low clouds (good idea to bail when you see a thunderstorm approach). Great people, tasty food, no "Genies" or "Mary Lee's" on the radar.
Wish I stayed there till November...

Bob
Wind Whore

Post by Bob » Mon May 09, 2016 8:14 pm

Right? 14 for 14 was insane. A lot of everything on this trip.

Want to go in the fall? Let me know soon. We're 3/4's booked already and riders are already booking for 2017 both spring and fall.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Post by Hugh » Wed May 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Bob, I just posted an account of our time in the big NEaster on the April 2nd thread. Great to hear you got out there on Sunday, it was indeed epic, and very impressive that you rode that strapless. I can't even imagine trying strapless in those conditions. Sorry we did not cross paths out there. Hugh

Rorke
Zen Levitator

Post by Rorke » Fri May 13, 2016 8:12 am

Hatteras was colossal.

Great conditions, amazing accommodations, outstanding crew, massive arsenal of toys, it was all perfect.

Hatteras is just so easy in every way.

Thanks for including me guys. It was one of the best trips I have ever had. I would love to make Fall happen. I will make next Spring happen.

Rorke
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com