Recommended replacement board for newer rider

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

ShiftyWinds
Chop Wrestler

Recommended replacement board for newer rider

Post by ShiftyWinds » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:53 am

I recently lost a kiteboard to lake Michigan :(. Anyway, I'm in the market for a replacement. I'm a small rider - at 5'5" and 120lbs. Being a new rider with lower experience, I really struggled with my previous board to keep upwind, but it was decent in the chop/waves. I'm currently comparing two boards which were recommended for newer riders and I'm not sure which would be better for me. The 2014 Best Spark Plug Kiteboard (132cm) or the 2015 Cabrinha Spectrum (136cm). The Best board appears to have a bit more flex which I understand is good for chop. So I like that. It's also reviewed as a good board for beginners since it has less rocker and is supposed to stay up wind decently. The board is currently selling complete with the bindings at Kite Zombies for $249 shipped.

The Cabrinha Spectrum board is a little stiffer (from what I understand) so it probably won't be quite as playful and forgiving in the waves. (I have a Cabrinha Stylus which is a 145cm and very little rocker and it really beats me up in the waves). The reviews of the Spectrum also show the board to be good for both chop and upwind capabilities. From what I can tell though, this board seems like it may be a little higher performing. So maybe not quite as easy to learn on but better as I advance? This board is selling complete with bindings for $299 shipped.

Looking for any thoughts or suggestions from those of you who have been there and done that. If you know of a different board that you think may be better than these, please shout out.

WaWaZat
Kite Dominator

Re: Recommended replacement board for newer rider

Post by WaWaZat » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:15 pm

Hey there!

I've got some excellent CrazyFly and Spleene options, in stock, if you'd like to check them out live. Hit me up and the info in my sig...
Kiteboard Mike
3ME/WindyCity Kite Sports
Fully Stocked Shop, Demo Center & IKO Certified School
eus@3mekite.com
http://windycitykitesports.com/

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:40 am

Be aware that most of what u read from a manufacturer is marketing bs....most reviews by mags are just ass kissing propaganda, and almost all kite sites are just pushing this agenda, and dumping last years twintips at a discount and fueling up for a new barrage of the same Ol Shiz....that being said there are some nice boards out there that will meet your demands.

Quite frankly, at this stage of your progression, trying a buddy's board is your best bet to see what works for you. Instead of trying to decipher the "kite lingo" thrown around to sell you gear. Your 145 is good for learning, esp in flat water. Once on Lake Michigan, the game changes rapidly. Develop your kite flying skills and you will begin to stay upwind better. A board will aid in this, but getting used to chop and waves and currents; and flying your kite efficiently will help even more!

For your size, I would look at something in the 135 range with a decent amount of concave and a rectangular shaped outline. As you progress a 132 would prob be your go to board, but it may be a bit small for your present level. Good luck, use due diligence, and kite safely!!

West

tyedye
Kite Crew in Training

Post by tyedye » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:24 am

Definitely try a buddy's on the beach to make sure it works. When I first started, I went through 3 different cheap, used boards options until I landed on a new one I liked. There could be a number of discomforts you may encounter from the wrong size board for your riding level to uncomfortable footstraps or footpads. If you're new, my recommendations are "concave" to help you get upwind and a big board always helps in lightwind but can be challenging in larger chop. I heard from a lot of beginners who couldn''t fit into their footpads with 5mm booties or their foot straps are too big when it comes time to kite without them. When searching for deals, they often leave out the practical side of kiteboarding, which is having the right gear to make kiteboarding easier, not harder to learn. A bunch of guys will be happy to offer you a demo...
Tyler
IKO Certified kiteboarding Instructor
Core, Liquid Force, Peter Lynn, NP, Mystic, Hyperflex, Woo, Trace, Mountainboard Sports, Rinsekit, Surfur, BBtalkin Dealer
http://www.stokeriders.com

elpopp
Kiter Noob

Post by elpopp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:32 pm

Here you have Cabrinha or NKB. I personally use NKB, and old 2012 Xride model. If i would be buying now I'd take http://www.surf-store.com/nkb-2016-twin ... ard-jaime/, but there are models on sale also, check every item out http://www.surf-store.com/boards-3/ 8)
www.surf-store.com
Enjoy more!

elpopp
Kiter Noob

Post by elpopp » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:27 am

-28% 8)
www.surf-store.com
Enjoy more!

snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Post by snowball » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:16 pm

Any 134 or 135 board should be good. I really like the cabrinha caliber. They are cheap too $260 free shiping which is good if you are losing boards not to spend a ton. I actually got mine new a bit older model for even less. They go upwind good, take the lake chop and pop really nice for once you get better. http://www.adventurekiteboarding.com/ca ... oCo8Xw_wcB

A lot of the "beginner" marketed boards are really just the heaviest cheapest made board in a manufacturers lineup. So don't fall for that line.

Bro kiteboards are awesome too. Ask west if he has any used ones.
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels/rallys, Naish Rides, Switch Kites, Orange Brokite Board and Zap Skimboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com

Bob
Wind Whore

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:48 am

Hi Shifty.....did you get a board yet?

Sucks to hear you lost yours. Here is an option for you that would work really well for a guy your size, weight and ability.

http://kiteridersllc.com/karty2/index.p ... uct_id=181

BTW....be wary of biz's advertising super low prices to lure you in. It may be board only, then you have to add the handle, straps, pads and fins and once done it's priced around $400 or more.

Mine all come complete with straps, pads, fins and handles all included so you can hit the water running. Super easy to order. $399 complete.

The Pro Straps and pads by Axis are one of my favorites ever. I'm offering FREE upgrade to these straps and pads. Most boards at this level come with very basic straps that work, but are not as comfy or performance oriented. The Pro straps have the velcro adjustment for sizing done UNDER a really nice cover. The problem with exposed velcro straps is over time they can be less effective and water splashing on them will make them come off while riding. The cover on this strap will keep your velcro secured 100% of the time.

The Division board is also meant for lighter riders with a less aggressive overall outline, etc. I've had some riders NOT like my Vanguards due to being too much carbon and still and really like the easier more comfortable ride on the Axis Division.

If you got a board already, awesome. If not, this is a great option.

Hope this helps.......Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi