Manure in your lake.

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Manure in your lake.

Post by Herbie »

I am very concerned about the water quality of our riding locations both on Green Bay and Lake Michigan. Not for next year, I mean for right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIpYcxk5SbI

CAFO’s. Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations.
There are 6000 Cows at the farm, which created the manure in the video, all under roof. How much waste does a cow produce per day? Urine - The average cow produces 3.5 gal. daily. Manure - A cow produces 65 lbs. of feces or manure daily. A cow can poop up to 15 times a day.

CAFO's get ride of manure by spreading it on fields. This would be like a medium size city of 50,000 people not having a sewage treatment plant, and dumping raw sewage on farm fields.

The YouTube Video, I took one morning on the way to work in November. Location is in Door County, near Brussels. Sugar Creek is directly next to this field. There was a constant stream a tankers for the complete day. This is just one stream, there must be a thousand streams around Lake Michigan, next to fields where CAFO's are dumping manure.

Estimating by seeing it, they had the discharge 10 feet from Sugar Creek. The liquid waste is pumped into the top soil, and in this case there were pools of waste all over the field. I subsequently learned they dumped 160 Tankers on this one field. I did not test the water in the stream, however, in my opinion, there is no way the manure did not flow into the stream after the next rain.

When you see and smell a CAFO manure dump, directly next to a stream that flows into Green Bay, it just is hard to ignore. I’m not super active, but I have made a formal complaint, and written the DNR and a Congressman. I continue to monitor, and will continue to voice my opinion when appropriate.

A very little bit of information:
Manure runoff and wastewaters from concentrated animal feeding operations may contain pathogenic zoonoses and antimicrobial-resistant bacteria that can survive and proliferate in nearby natural waters. Runoff and wastewater discharges may also contribute both organic and inorganic nutrients that may encourage the growth and proliferation of indigenous or introduced pathogens (Grimes et al., 1986). Cryptosporidium oocysts may also be especially resistant in environmental waters, surviving for more than a year in optimal (low temperature) conditions. Antibiotic overuse occurs not just in medicine, but also in food production. In fact, agricultural usage accounts for about 80 percent of all antibiotic use in the US. US Center for Disease Control and Prevention4 (CDC) has finally come out saying that yes, antibiotics used in livestock plays a role in antibiotic resistance and "should be phased out. (CAFOs) presents a greater risk to water quality because of both the increased volume of waste and to contaminants that may be present (e.g., antibiotics and other veterinary drugs) that may have both environmental and public health importance. Impacts on surface water sources and wildlife have been documented in many agricultural areas in the United States. Potential impacts on human and environmental health from long-term inadvertent exposure to water contaminated with pharmaceuticals and other compounds are a growing public concern.

I eat meat, dairy, and cheese of course. At a minimum I need to learn where my food comes from before purchasing.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index. ... 8f2c49af9a
Attachments
CAFO Map.jpeg

Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Re: Manure in your lake.

Post by Herbie »

Marquette University Study finds drug resistance bacteria in streams emptying into Lake Michigan.
http://gbpg.net/2oJvKuM

Next time a wave breaks in my face sending water into my throat and sinus', I'll unfortunately will be thinking about this.

Bob
Wind Whore

Post by Bob »

So frustrating.......thanks for posting this Herb.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi

grigorib
Resident Windfreak

Post by grigorib »

Also fish screw in water a lot :)
And in Jakarta I saw outhouses with holes right into/above the bay.