Sad Day !!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

steveh
Sand Bagger

Sad Day !!

Post by steveh » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Was on the news this morning. Very sad! My thoughts go out to his Family!

JEFFERSON, Wis. (AP) - The windsurfer found dead in a Jefferson County lake early today is identified as an Illinois man.

Sheriff's officials say Jeffrey Meissner from Huntley was reported missing about 8:00 last night by a person who said he may be kite surfing on Lake Koshkonong.

Authorities found the man's car was parked on Carcajou Point on the lake's north shore.

Numerous law enforcement agencies launched a search on the lake using spotlights and thermal imaging equipment.

A sail and surf board were found about 1:30 this morning on the southeast side of the lake. Meissner's body was found a short time later.

He was pronounced dead at the scene by the Jefferson County coroner.

An autopsy will be done to determine a cause of death

Misfit
Wind Whore

Post by Misfit » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:27 pm

that is sad

V
Unstrapped!

Post by V » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Oh man, horrible. Please people don't kite alone! If something happens, it is priceless to have someone there to help you if something happens.

kwk
Master of Kite

Post by kwk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Very sad. This appears to be the same Jeff that has been posting about his kiting on Kosh. Unclear whether he was kiting or windsurfing. My thoughts are with his family.
Keith

Bob
Wind Whore

Post by Bob » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:41 pm

Keith,

Karl in madison just called me and we were thinking the same thing that it must be Jeff who's been posting about Kosh.

That is very very sad and tragic. my condolences go out to his friends and family.

bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi

kris
Boosticus Maximus

Post by kris » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:44 pm

I am feeling sick. I had a lot of banter with him discussing that lake. I wish i would have said more.
--------------K-r-i-s----------------------------

Rorke
Zen Levitator

Post by Rorke » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:53 pm

This is so sad.

Although I didn’t know Jeff, it was evident he had spirit. It is awful to hear such sad news about someone who you can imagine was so full of life.

From his posts, he sounded stoked to always make the most of his day. He also seemed just as stoked to share this with us on the forum.

Hopefully we will be able to learn from this tragedy; whether it be kiting related or to appreciating the gift of life.

RIP

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Post by skysurfr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:01 pm

Thoughts and prayers for Jeff, his family, and friends.

A sad day indeed.

:cry:
Mike

'07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish LocalTeam Rider. GoPro Cameras! 12M 10m 08 Naish Pivot's!

Rorke
Zen Levitator

Post by Rorke » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:21 pm

From Kiteforum...

My condolences to family and friends of the lost kiter.

November has been a rough month for kiteboarding losses for many years, some years more than others. We're up to three in about a week with a third of the month remaining. The causes may have been widely varying from current limited information. I would still be extra cautious using good technique, appropriate gear, etc. particularly in temperate areas and with inbound powerful frontal systems.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

A little additional information appears below:

A missing kite surfer from Illinois was found dead on the southeast side of Lake Koshkonong early today.

Jeffrey S. Meissner, 40, of Huntley, Ill., was pronounced dead at the scene by Jefferson County Coroner Pat Theder.

The Rock County Sheriff’s Department described the death as a drowning, but an autopsy is planned.

Authorities received a call at 8:12 p.m. Monday reporting Meissner missing.

Using coordinates provided by the victim’s cell phone provider, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department found the victim’s vehicle about 30 minutes later. Meissner’s green Saturn was parked near W8717 White Crow Road, east of Caracajou Road, on the north central part of Lake Koshkonong.

A witness reported that he last saw the kite surfer on the lake off Carcajou Point about 4:30 p.m., according to the Rock County Sheriff’s Department.

The Lake Mills, Fort Atkinson and Milton fire departments responded with boats, equipment and search teams. The Jefferson County and Rock County boat patrols were also activated.

At 11:15 p.m., teams using thermal imaging devices and spotlights began searching the lake. At 1:25 a.m., they found the sail and board on the southeast side of the lake.

Meissner’s body was found an estimated 30 minutes later in the water near Koshkonong Mounds Golf Course.

http://gazettextra.com/news/2007/nov/20 ... oshkonong/

SmoothDusty
Resident Windfreak

Post by SmoothDusty » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:37 pm

crazy... it's kind of amazing this kind of thing doesn't happen more often... it's a good reminder that this can happen. my heart goes out to the family/friends

V
Unstrapped!

Post by V » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:33 pm

Well, I have been thinking about this incident. What might have happened?

there were light winds ~12mph all day. No storms. No lightning. No fronts. No high winds. Nothing that is on the historical reports or that I remember.

It was cold. It was night. It was foggy and rainy.

Here's what I THINK happend:

Looking at the wind reports, the wind was south winds till about 3-3:30pm at Madison. Someone in the eyewitness report says they saw him on the lake at 4:30 (just before sunset) at carcajou launch. The wind reports say the wind switched to North winds at 3:30. they work their way down to Kosh by 4-4:30. this is probably right after Jeff launched and went out.

I don't know his equipment but being a new rider, it is likely he may not have had a thick wetsuit (5/3mm) or gloves, hood or booties. Maybe someone that has talked to him at Waukegan or online or on the phone, etc can remember what he had?
I don't know for sure, but it SEEMS that he may have launched, then got caught up in the N winds that pushed him out into the lake. The report says the kite was found on the SE side of the lake. that is impossible with S winds, the kite would be north. I'm not sure where the golf course is, so that doesn't help. The wind then progressively died out to zero. He may have been stuck in the lake trying to swim in. Having a thin wetsuit, gloves?, booties?, hood? what did he have?

Night sets in. The water is 45 degrees. It takes less than an hour for hyperthermia to set in at these water temps. Figure 15-20 minutes messing with the gear to try and save it. He was probably disoriented. Heck, West, Kris and I kite there all the time and I sometimes can't tell where the launch is from the middle of the lake in the day time.

So he may have been struggling to get back to where he can stand, trying to save his gear from being lost. Possible exhaustion, disorientation, hyperthermia. Without an aid there to help, he may never have made it back to shore and got too cold and then mentally starting to shut down.

I remember once I was stuck off shore at Racine way out. Most other riders were closer in. It was cold water. I was riding a foil and it was taking on water. It took forever to get back and I barely made it. I remembered then, "don't go further out than you're willing to swim".

#1 RULE IN KITING: Never Kite Alone! Please.

It must have been a horrible experience. whatever did actually happen. With such light winds, what else could it have been? Horrible....

Its late November. Even though you think you are confident in your kite skills, there are other factors out of your control.
Last edited by V on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:36 pm

Just talked to Kris, what a bummer. I find it absolutely hard to believe. I checked the wind from yesterday, and it was due South at about 10 all day until about 4, then it quickly switched to due North and shut down!! No telling what happened, but what an unfortunate thing. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Never met him, now I'll never forget him.

RickI
Sand Bagger

Post by RickI » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:49 pm

I wish what comfort that can be found to Jeff's family and friends at this tragic time.

Your point about not kiting alone is a very good one V, particularly in hypothermic conditions. A whole new set of imperatives take over when conditions are that cold. Things we don't even think about in the subtropics can make critical differences in your level of comfort and safety.

If what you theorize happened V, it may be the fourth time a solo kiter succumbed under hypthermic conditions without adequate observation. One of these cases perhaps more involved a fatal heart attack from the combined effects of intense cold, fatigue and lack of flotation.

Take care up there. The cold is on and powerful fronts are blowing through on a regular basis. Focus on the fun by effectively working to avoid the hazards.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

anderson
Resident Windfreak

Post by anderson » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:38 pm

That makes sense.

Since his body was separated from the kite when they found him he might have tried to save his gear and swim back to shore but unfortunately didn't make it.

Very sad.

Larkey Parka
Master of Kite

Post by Larkey Parka » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 pm

Totally sad.
Looks like from his other post he had a 3/2 wetsuit. and thats it.
Unbelievable.
i

dckiteboards
Resident Windfreak

Post by dckiteboards » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:51 pm

My condolences as well to the family and friends of the lost kiter.
Door County Crew

splash
Adrenaline Junkie

Post by splash » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:55 pm

This is really tragic.
It is a differnt game when the cold can kill.
Remember the life jackets, partners, and be ready to ditch the gear.
Stay close and safe.

V
Unstrapped!

Post by V » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:53 am

More info. I spoke to a friend Larry who is a kiter and lives on the lake near 90/39 on the West side. He left the house Monday morning and noticed the thick fog. He said visibility was not good and you could not see the other side of the lake, and where he lives, the other side is not far, because he's right by the rivermouth that runs under the highway.

He also said the golf course is on the SE side of the lake. The water is not even 45 degrees he said, as well. With a 3/2mm suit and being stuck out there, in fog, unable to see the shore, Jeff might have been swimming in circles with nothing to reference direction for a while. Heck, he may have even been swimming further out in the lake with the wind switch, you wouldn't be able to tell! I'm thinking there is a very good possibility this is what happened. After reading Rick's post, Nov is the worst month for kiting. Spend the $30 on some gloves and a hood. It could save your life.

thrmldlite
Zen Levitator

Post by thrmldlite » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:15 am

This reinforces what Mike, Cory and Bob in particular have emphasized for years…take a lesson, respect mother nature and safety first and foremost…

kwk
Master of Kite

Post by kwk » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:23 am

Kris or someone who lives near there may want to contact the sheriff and offer assistance. They may have taken pictures of the kite, and bar when it was found and they would not know what clues to look for to determine what may have happened. If none of the releases were pulled it supports V's theory. Given the light wind that makes the most sense.

I am sure his family would appreciate anything we can do to help determine the cause.
Keith