chicago / midwest area new riders and training

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Bob
Wind Whore

chicago / midwest area new riders and training

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:50 pm

i'm looking for some guidance with respect to the chicago area scene. is it getting too overcrowded?

the reason i'm asking is the amount of training requests I/we get is becoming almost overwhelming. but...the amount of riders we actually train is quite limited due to many variables...wind, temps, directions and this year...flooding.

to me...this is a good thing, even though i'm in the business.

i'm curious if most everyone is getting lessons anyway, or if there's just a natural barrier due to most of the training centers being 2-3 hours or further from chicago.

from my standpoint, those who want lessons bad enough will get them from me/us or from one of the other training centers.

years ago i took the stance that I/we would not promote lessons or talk people into the sport. this has worked perfectly in that those who really want to learn will find us.

am i getting the right read that there's more and more and more new riders, or is it not too bad?

what do you guys think?
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi

Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Post by Eric A. » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:26 am

Cool topic Bob,

Here on the MI side I see lots of lessons going down, but not to many new faces on the beach. There are several new riders added each year, but i think that most who take the lessons may find out that kiting isn't what they thought it to be and have now tried other things.

My friends at Sharkless in SH do about 2-3 lessons perday and seem to have to reshedule frequently due to lack of suitable learning conditions and or wind.

There is tons of kite hype right now in MI and everyone is stoked to try... however after getting beat down all day by the endless baby waves in MI while trying to learn how to water start in the shore break, many throw in the towel or think of going to Hatteras or different location with more suitalbe leaning conditions.

I also see folks who have the gear all nice and new, but don't get out except for a few weekends a year.

All in all, I see slow steady growth, which to me is good, because it is easier to keep track of the new faces on your beach.

I don't know if I wrote anything useful, but that is my 2 cents on the scene here in MI.

Gerard
Master of Kite

Post by Gerard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:15 pm

Hi Bob,

You make a good point that there is no need to push/market kiteboaridng lessons since if a person is interested they will find you. I, just like everyone else on the biz gets loads of inquiries for lessons of which I repsond back depending on their location or willineness to travel, I reffer to Lino if in the Chicagoland area, You if up north or sorrounding vicinity then to the Michigan schools if around that area. I have stopped teaching for over 4 years now and have only taken one group of students down to Corpus for lessons but even there I outsourced the lessons to Ryan's outfit down there. The midwest is a great place to kite and conintue progressing skills learned from lessons but taking lessons here is not my first choice though it is a blessing to the interested person that within one hour drive there are many places that give quality, dependable lessons.

I still don't understand how a person interested can come up with the excuse for not tasking lessosn. When i first got interested, I had to fly out to Cabarette DR in 2000 just to take lessons coz during that time there were literally only one hand full of places to find instruction in the states.

Cheers,
Gerard
www.chicagokiteboarder.com

Bob
Wind Whore

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:39 pm

cool stuff guys. you guys are confirming what i thought and similar things going on here. it seems that the nature of the sport makes it difficult for many in the midwest to get on the water. not a bad thing.

eric...jens has the 9m CB IDS with him and will drop it off for you this week. thanks for the MI input. spot on.

i'm trying to talk with the family about doing a MI trip around the big lake this summer. does it suck for winds though in august? what about late July?

bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi