Moving to the GORGE - Hood River!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

ryankolberg
Resident Windfreak

Moving to the GORGE - Hood River!

Post by ryankolberg » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:02 pm

I am moving to Hood River in the Gorge the first week of August!

I am wondering if anyone has lived there before and has any insider info for me. I have some friends there already and they have filled me in, and yes I know to bring SMALL KITES!

Anything I should not forget?

Thanks
RYan

4w7s
Zen Levitator

Re: Moving to the GORGE - Hood River!

Post by 4w7s » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:33 pm

ryankolberg wrote: Anything I should not forget?
Thanks
RYan
surfboards, mtn bike, kayak, climbing gear, hiking/camping gear, road bike, fishing gear, snowboard, downhill skis, skinny skis, float plane, sailboat, gorge vehicle, dog, dirtbike, SUP... sorry, not much to do out there.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor

chanson
Pump Master

Post by chanson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 pm

haha..
surfboards, mtn bike, kayak, climbing gear, hiking/camping gear, road bike, fishing gear, snowboard, downhill skis, skinny skis, float plane, sailboat, gorge vehicle, dog, dirtbike, SUP... sorry, not much to do out there.
so true.. maybe add a few skateboards in there...HR has some sick pools... oh yeah, and say a nice goodbye to friends and family as they might not see you for awhile.. :wink:

c'mon out.. pm me if you have any questions...sounds like you got it though..!
I've been out here for 5 years now from WI and I gotta warn you this place is very addictive.. !!!

adseguy
Wind Whore

Post by adseguy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Just curious, what's the weather like? i know windy...duh. But is it sunny most days? Overcast? Rainy like Seatlle?
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard

Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Post by Eric A. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:30 am

Ahhhhhh the Gorge.....my home away from home. I've spent many summers in the tent there on my ol poleboards.

Wind

Tight pressure gradients are what you are looking for to get the good ol west winds a smokin.
Best advice I can give on getting good sessions in the gorge is......
ALWAYS GO EAST OF THE CLOUDS.
If it is cloudy in HR corridor (Hatchery or sand bar) go out east to Maryhill (WA side) or better yet The Wall (WA side) or Rufus on the Oregon side. Don't forget to visit peach beach and get some peaches for the session...the girls workin the peach stand are BEAUTIFUL...at least they were 6 years ago.

If you have the time to make a trip for a day or 2....go even furthur east to Roosevelt where you'll find grassy rigging and camping and safer launches than normal in the gorge as well as some of the most beautiful rolling smooth swell in the gorge. Arlington is on the Oregon side, but it isn't as nice as Roosevelt trust me, but the swell is the best on the Oregon side hands down.

Food

You can also go to Andrews for Pizza, Beer and a movie. For really good local grown organic food visit the 6th Street Bistro, it RULES....apple cobbler is to die for after a session.

The best Itilian Food is at Ambruzzio's on Cascade near Subway.
Taco Del Mar is good to for the big burro.

You can camp out in Walmart parking lot and there is free camping anywhere along the river out east.

Watch out for BARDGES AND TRAINS AND POISON OAK...they will all leave a mark.

Ride Mt Hood in the early am and then go out to The Wall or Rufus for an afternoon session in the swell.

Always look before you jump or transition.

Have fun ans say Hi to all my family out there.
Damn I really miss the gorge

If it is UREAL HOT and no wind in the forecast GO TO THE COAST or go to Onieta Falls and walk up the river canyon to the cool pool.

There is SOOOOO much to do out there.

Have fun and post pic.

Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Post by Herbie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:35 am

Don't get too close to the :D Face

http://windnotes.com/hatchjuly11/large-14.html

chanson
Pump Master

Post by chanson » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:01 am

Just curious, what's the weather like? i know windy...duh. But is it sunny most days? Overcast? Rainy like Seatlle?
Summer starts late, but runs late too(well into Sept sometimes Oct)

To give you an idea of sun, we have only had one day in July so far with rain(overnight sprinkle), the forecast is 80's-90's and sun for the next two weeks. 8)

It hit's like a switch, that's why the wine is so good.. rain in the off-season, but once summer hits, it's as dry as Cali, minus all the people!

Eric's got it down.... tons of places to ride...out east = big swell..
out west = sick flat water and no crowds... when the gorge shuts down, hit the coast.

V
Unstrapped!

Post by V » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:46 pm

There's some photos of that world-class chop. Talk to West. Also West's bro it out there now so he likely has the lowdown on all the new spots.

ryankolberg
Resident Windfreak

Post by ryankolberg » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:56 pm

V, I am actually living with West's bro!!! and my buddy Scott, they live together.

THanks for the info homies!!!!

I will post some photos

Let's get some sessions in before I leave!!!!

ryankolberg
Resident Windfreak

Post by ryankolberg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:25 am

I am leaving in one week.....crazy

Anyone else got any input? things not to forget?

I am also looking for a Thule or Yakima cartop cargo box, if anyone has any ideas, yes I have been checking craigslist like crazy

Thanks

WaWaZat
Kite Dominator

Post by WaWaZat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:03 pm

ryankolberg wrote:I am also looking for a Thule or Yakima cartop cargo box, if anyone has any ideas, yes I have been checking craigslist like crazy

Thanks
I got a nice one on sale at PepBoys. Good 20 cu in size. PepBoys branded, but made by Thule. Great bang for the buck.

Bob
Wind Whore

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:09 pm

ryan...safe travels and hope the wind gods treat you well.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi

Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Post by Eric A. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:50 am

IF you are using a roof top rack ALWAYS remember to CLOSE THE BOX.

One fine windy gorge day I had a packing frenzy going on at camp to get down to the Hatchery....threw everything in the roof box, got the lunch, water, barley pops, and funny cigarettes ready to go for the epic full day of riding. KILLER!!!!

I drive down the winding roads from White salmon to the higway turn right onto 14 into the 35kt west winds, accelerate for a hundred yards and all of a sudden...BOOM....shit flying everywhere in my rear view mirror.....cars behind me dodging my sails and booms and wetsuit and what ever was in the box.

I pull over and luckly a rider behind me helped me pick up my yard sale on 14. I throw everything in the back of my CAR now and limp into the hatchery to show EVERYONE what a kook I was NOT TO CLOSE THE ROOF BOX. My friends and even some strangers didn't let me live that down for about a month out there. When I look back at it....it's pretty funny, but stupid.

I think my roof box or at least half of it is still in my buddy Jeffs back yard in White salmon....I think it's a flower bed now....an expensve yakima space case flower garden.

Morale of the story.....dummy check the box and do the funnys cigs after you get to the beach...???*&^%@#$???

Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Post by Eric A. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 am

This used to be my "office" in the summertime.
Ryan I give you the keys now.....be sure to clean up when and if you ever leave.

Hatchery cam......not looking so hot right now....glass in the gorge means GO TO THE COAST!

ssauve66
Pump Master

Post by ssauve66 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:42 pm

EROC is that the hatch cam or have you been takin pics from our front porch???

haha dont forget your bootys ryan. its not cold anymore but the gorge will welcome you sooner or later with a breakdown somewhere way out in the current, probly near the WA side and after you get to the shore, pack your gear, scale the rock, cross the railroad, dig your way under the fence, and scale some more rock covered in poison oak to get to the highway, and youd probly have a better luck hitchhiking if atleast your not barefoot. hahaha get out here dude, if you got a brokite board and a few small kites you dont need to be saving up for nothin!

lookin forward to it. anyone out to the gorge or comming out give scotty or i a shout! you can stay in ryans cubby hole of a room if you beat him out here
847 212 4035
-------
Sean

splash
Adrenaline Junkie

Post by splash » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:27 am

Temira says: "The pesky offshore low slides inland Thursday and Friday, ramping up Gorge winds into the semi-nuclear range. A chance of showers in Portland combines with sunshine in the desert for a classic Gorge setup". Flying out tomorrow morining. I'll look for you guys.
- Steve