crossing lake michigan

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

snowball
Boosticus Maximus

crossing lake michigan

Post by snowball » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:54 am

I'm game and im pretty sure artem is also

I't sounds big but its completly doable in 5 hours at 10 mph....or in 3.3 hours at 15 mph

look at this crossing for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr2fumn9 ... r_embedded

What we need:

*2 seperate reliable chase boats to have a close watch over each rider seperatly incase anyone gets seperated

*possibly extra boards for changes in wind speed
ie: rather than switching kites, switch board size

*waterproof gps beacons, waterproof marine radios, if anyone has one just for extra support incase a boat has any problems Please PM me

were aiming for fall when we get a reliable strong NE or NW and leaving early

people have SUPed across lake michigan but no ones crossed in a kite yet.

We would aware the life guards before we go just to tell them about the plan as people do with any long trip on water.

Please PM me if anyone can help with boat, radios, etc. or in anyway or just want to chat about it

Thanks
-Henry

Misfit
Wind Whore

Post by Misfit » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:36 am

Ambitious
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.

stanwhy
Pump Master

Post by stanwhy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:13 pm

This is what happens when we don't have wind for two weeks...

In all seriousness:

One thing you have to think about is you can't ride in the same direction for 3-5 hours, your legs will just give out.

adseguy
Wind Whore

Post by adseguy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:14 pm

How many miles total? Where to where?

That is a really really long trip. I remember I did 13 miles in Hatteras and it hurt my legs so bad from holding one tack for hours.

I'd train for it, but I'm in. I have 2 water proof radios and a waterproof GPS guidance system, but no beacons.

I wish our sport was easy to plan. We could get everything ready to go for one day, but we have to plan around wind... Like Cory said, ambitious, but I'm in :)
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard

stanwhy
Pump Master

Post by stanwhy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:19 pm

How about going out in west wind(straight offshore), and doing long 45 degree downwind tacks, each for a few miles... I think this way it can work as you'll be switching feet. Plus going downwind you're not edging so much against the kite.

Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Crossing

Post by Kevin » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:58 pm

On Google earth, from the Waukegan lauch to the beach at Tiscornia in St. Joe, I get 70 miles, with an angle of 104 degrees E of North. Will be longer if you land further north, shorter if you land south.

Good luck. I'd suggest some triathlon-type training to maximize your endurance.

Northerner
Zen Levitator

Post by Northerner » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:26 pm

I love how only the people fairly new to kiting or have never crossed the lake in any other craft besides a plane are the ones that discuss this as so. People think they can do this with google earth maps, weather.com and a intense three week training window.

For one thing your milage is not pt to pt as with kiting you follow the tack given to you by the wind so your 70 miles can easily become 100 or more.

Two the the lake gets bigger swells and rougher then you think trust me I sailed on the steel frighters and worked as a charter boat deck hand. Sheboygan is popluar spot to try the crossing from and not many people try it in what we would call a good forcast.

Three they have a helicopter in the video.

P.S.
This morning we were riding stand ups on wake of a boat for a few hours. The water is in the mid 70's
I'd rather be Rollerblading

snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Post by snowball » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:36 pm

I contacted joe bidawid who SUPed across lake michigan

Northerner i know you and artem hate each other but count me out of that argument, I met you at the beach and you were totally chill

I'm friends with artem and hes cool

Definately not saying were experts in any way, but were both going on our 4th year so its not fair to say were both new

Hopefully joe will have some insight

For training I'm thinking about going on long wakeboard runs 3 or 4 times a week for a couple weeks before we go, to get our bodys ready. wakeboarding is the perfect no wind training.

peace
-Henry

Northerner
Zen Levitator

Post by Northerner » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Man fast on the draw Henry but watch where your shooting. First I have never even met artem so how can I hate him? Myself and most others on the forum just didn't like the three ring circus he bought with him to a spot when he started kiting. Now I'm sure he's as chill as me.

Never ment to suggest your a new kiter, your not, nor are you a kook, but have you crossed the lake in a boat in wind?

As for training, wake boarding will help a bit, but I would suggest doing a one legged squat for 5-7 hours, now thats more like it
I'd rather be Rollerblading

JEF
Pump Master

Post by JEF » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:20 pm

If a chick can do it you can do it.

:D http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/content/a ... ture.shtml

I'm glad our founding father's had balls of steal.

Bob
Wind Whore

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:18 pm

why not start training now for next year?

then...if you're still passionate about it, go for it, but you'll be so much better prepared.

there so many times that things seem like a great idea, but then time becomes a better barometer for the desire.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi

Misfit
Wind Whore

Post by Misfit » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:37 pm

The ambition is really cool but the key to success is being prepared. Rushing through the planning could be disasterous. A great guy that has a lot of experience with crossings is Neil Hutchenson at http://www.xratedkiteboarding.com
he is the granddaddy of kite crossings and should be an amazing resource.

Cory

Misfit
Wind Whore

Post by Misfit » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:40 pm

I think it's worth pointing out that Joe Bidawid did his crossing with a light tailwind on a sup with almost flat seas. Apples and oranges here. (not taking ANYTHING away fom joe cause paddling that far would be brutal)

Cory

smpl
Zen Levitator

Post by smpl » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:39 am

Niel will tell you that the only thing you need is a case of beer. I'm down the next time it's windy and i got a sturdy bow kite to back me up.

snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Post by snowball » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:17 am

I think winnetka to MC would be doable on a strait North.

ya i know you have to be prepared but honestly all your really doing is riding in a really really really long line and if anything happens just pull the safety and swim to the boat. Sometimes simplicity is the best. Im not going to be putting lots of money into it, or paying people its just for fun the whole idea.

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Post by skysurfr » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:13 am

Henry,

I'm guessing you've sailed out there on a straight north, when the swells are cresting around 12 feet, are unevenly spaced, and breaking in different directions?

No chase boat is going to be able to follow you in those conditions. It's more likely that you and the boat crew would need to be rescued.

I'd suggest you start smaller and work your way up to this one.

1. Crossing the Cal-Sag channel.
2. Crossing the Des Plaines River.
3. Cross the Chicago River (do it near a hospital where you can get shots afterwards)
4. move on to Wolf Lake.
5. Kite from Wisconsin all the way to Illinois!
Mike

'07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish LocalTeam Rider. GoPro Cameras! 12M 10m 08 Naish Pivot's!

smpl
Zen Levitator

Post by smpl » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:49 am

Neil kited from the keys to cuba on a two line kite.

some real shit.

Gerard
Master of Kite

Post by Gerard » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Ocean/sea crossing events have been held but they rely on Tradewinds that are consistent for weeks in the same direction.

Our pond does not have tradewinds....as you all have noticed, youy may have a certian wind direction in Illinois, then it could be anything in the middle of the lake then in the opposite direction in Wisconsin or Michigan.

Even if you trained you just wont make it across since the wind will take you where it wants.

My two cents.

Gerard
www.chicagokitebaorder.com

jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Post by jarch » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:41 pm

West...will you please start shaking the rocks so some wind will come and put an end to the no-wind insanity?

dckiteboards
Resident Windfreak

Post by dckiteboards » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:41 pm

HAH, here we go again!

Obviously you havent crossed lake michigan in any sort of craft. our lake doesnt have a steady trade wind to rely on , newbys will look at a flag say in madison thats blowing south and they freak out and say" ohh its windy lets go to sheboygan" and guess what its north in sheboygan.

good luck with this whole thing. I laugh, cause it comes from purely inexperience. im not saying its not doable but you need EXPERIENCE, and you do not get it from going an extra 5 minutes on a wakeboard!

and why would you even bother telling the lifeguards that your doing it. theyre useless for anything but rescues at there beach. IF you recall theres the Sheriff Dept and the United States Coast Guard.

I do crossings on the bay and the wind is sketch on the BAY, think lake/bay!hummm
Door County Crew