Caution Spitfire 2006 LE repair help

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Lunatic
Kite Crew in Training

Caution Spitfire 2006 LE repair help

Post by Lunatic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:45 pm

I can't tell if the LE bladder is leaking from the base of the valve or close to it. I'm hoping that its just the valve. Can I just pull the bladder out from the hole of the fill valve or do I have to take the whole thing out to do the repair? There are no zippers or easy open areas. I think I need to pull it by the tail and get it half way out. Anyone with experience?

Also I got a small tear in the canopy of another kite. Can you recommend repair materials? I found a few things online but I don't really know what to get. Thanks.

dawidp
Board Monkey

Post by dawidp » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:50 pm

I saw a shop do some repairs on a leaking bladder... fill a spray bottle with a mix of water and some dish washing liquid, pump up your kite and spray the leading edge with the mixture. you will see bubbles forming in places that are leaking air.

Cheers,
Dawid

smpl
Zen Levitator

Post by smpl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm

dawidp wrote:I saw a shop do some repairs on a leaking bladder... fill a spray bottle with a mix of water and some dish washing liquid, pump up your kite and spray the leading edge with the mixture. you will see bubbles forming in places that are leaking air.

Cheers,
Dawid

seblue
Resident Windfreak

repair

Post by seblue » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:39 pm

How old is the kite if you could take it out from the middle you would have to be careful while you were glueing the bladder back in place to not let it stick to the other side of the bladder. as far as finding the leak the bubbles will help .
07 SlingShot 15M Link,13M Fuel
6.2 M FelxiFoil Blade, MBS Comp 95 Pro
Sean 630-939-5001

Lunatic
Kite Crew in Training

Post by Lunatic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:16 pm

C'mon guys. You have all just repeated what I already know... :roll:

I saw a shop do some repairs on a leaking bladder... fill a spray bottle with a mix of water and some dish washing liquid, pump up your kite and spray the leading edge with the mixture. you will see bubbles forming in places that are leaking air.

Thanks but I know about where the leak is since I can hear it by the valve. I'm just afraid that the whole thing might rip since these kites are on the fragile side most of the time. Would it be dangerous to try to pull the valve and bladder out of the filler hole a little to try and fix the problem?

How old is the kite if you could take it out from the middle you would have to be careful while you were glueing the bladder back in place to not let it stick to the other side of the bladder.

The kite is 2006. It's in the topic. What kind of glue would you recommend? I found a couple of different sized valves with oversized bases to use as a patch. http://www.powerkiteshop.com/airtime_bladder_valves.htm

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/cgi-bin/ ... hstart=200
I also found a kit but I don't know if these are overkill.

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Post by Safe_Cracker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:49 pm

As far as the bladder you need to pull it out. 2006 is fairly new not like it is an 98 or 99 two lined kite lol. If it is by the valve it could have gotten pinched by inflating with the valve partially stuck in the LE, when you inflate you need to make sure your valves are pulled all the way out. As far as the canopy repair use KiteFix depending how long it is I would go with the basic kit. Don't use the colored fiber fix or it will look darker just use the white with the clear glue works awesome and is super strong...

Polo.
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~

Lunatic
Kite Crew in Training

Post by Lunatic » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:39 am

I got the bladder out and now I need a shop that can replace it for me. There is a major repair that was done and probably not going to make it and both of the bases on the valves are coming unglued. Who can help?

JEF
Pump Master

Post by JEF » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:45 am