Phantom Bladder Leak

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Phantom Bladder Leak

Post by schuss8899 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:28 pm

I have a strut on a multi-inflation older kite, the strut went soft after inflation.
I assumed a leak had found this strut, pulled it out and sprayed it with soap water to check seams etc. no leak, left overnight, no leak. So, I reinsert the tube and inflate. Now, I take it to a field to fly on this light wind sunday and the damn strut goes soft.....wtf...whats happening with this strut...makes no sense....am I missing something......I do not want to take it apart again....the damn tube did not have a leak....and its not the valve....what is it...??

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Re: Phantom Bladder Leak

Post by Safe_Cracker » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:49 pm

schuss8899 wrote:I have a strut on a multi-inflation older kite, the strut went soft after inflation.
I assumed a leak had found this strut, pulled it out and sprayed it with soap water to check seams etc. no leak, left overnight, no leak. So, I reinsert the tube and inflate. Now, I take it to a field to fly on this light wind sunday and the damn strut goes soft.....wtf...whats happening with this strut...makes no sense....am I missing something......I do not want to take it apart again....the damn tube did not have a leak....and its not the valve....what is it...??
Did try to spray around the inflation tube coming from the LE edge bladder?

Polo..
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~

JEF
Pump Master

Post by JEF » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:37 pm

When you inflated it to check for leaks, did you fully inflate it? One time I did the same thing, but didn't put enough air. The bladder was ridged but not 100% full. I couldn't find the leak with soap. I then added some air and poof found a pin hole.

schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Post by schuss8899 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Yes, I sprayed around the valve, and I did inflate it until firm. It sat there the whole night and did not seem to lose an ounce. Once I put it back into the kite and take it out to fly the strut goes soft, it does not lose all the air but about 30%. And it loses it fairly quickly, by the time I setup the lines and come back to the kite the strut is visibly soft, nolonger erect in the air.

schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Post by schuss8899 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:55 pm

This is a multi valve kite and is completely isolated from LE.

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Post by Safe_Cracker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:31 am

Well technically you cannot inflate a strut bladder with as much air alone as you would be able to while it is in the kite. This is because it would blow unless contained by the kite material around it. I'm going to bet it is the tube or the inlet valve due to the difference in material needing more pressure to produce the leak but that is just me :wink: .

Polo..

schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Post by schuss8899 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:27 am

That does make sense and I guess I will have to inspect it more completely under higher pressure.....thanks for your input....

maly
Adrenaline Junkie

Post by maly » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:12 pm

I've had a similar issue with my LF kite and watched the pro fixed it , I would have never found the puncture it was so small. First of all he inflated the whole kite without removing the bladders and sprayed the struts with water with soap, by doing it like that you can afford far much pressure , after a while small bubbles appeared on the strut , now you get a general idea of where to look for a leak. Then he removed the bladder pumped it and started working the suspected area by twisting and squeezing to the point that I thought the bladder is gone. Only because he new where to look he was able to find it . Than bunch of tricks to put it all together and my kite was fixed in 30 minutes. Totally worth every penny I've paid for it . Done by South Padre Kiteboarding.
Mario

Mixmikeup
Pump Master

Post by Mixmikeup » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:54 pm

schuss8899 wrote:Yes, I sprayed around the valve, and I did inflate it until firm. It sat there the whole night and did not seem to lose an ounce. Once I put it back into the kite and take it out to fly the strut goes soft, it does not lose all the air but about 30%. And it loses it fairly quickly, by the time I setup the lines and come back to the kite the strut is visibly soft, nolonger erect in the air.
Maybe the bladder is just stressed out from all this SW wind. To get a stressed out kite to hold air, try taping this sexy kite picture to the leading edge while kiting.

Or, if that doesn't do the trick, you could try putting some viagr a in the valve an hour before going out, but remember that if your kiting sesh lasts longer than 4 hours, you should consult the kite doctor.

If nothing helps fix the bladder, it might just mean that your kite needs a relaxing trip to hatteras, or maybe its moved on and is already seeing other riders. Take a drive down Lake Shore some day when you aren't out, but you could be... Maybe its a kite that looks a lot like yours... Maybe it IS your kite.... Anyway, just something to think about. Best of luck with the bladder.

-Mike
Cabrinha Caliber 130 - Litewave Wing 154 - Brunotti Bumblebee 5'0" - Flysurfer Quiver

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Post by Safe_Cracker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:14 pm

Polo.. :wink:

Mixmikeup
Pump Master

Post by Mixmikeup » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:05 pm

:D
Cabrinha Caliber 130 - Litewave Wing 154 - Brunotti Bumblebee 5'0" - Flysurfer Quiver

zulutimer
Kite Crew in Training

Post by zulutimer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:50 pm

I had a similar problem with a main bladder. Sometimes the leak is so small it doesn't appear until under heavier pressure insde the kite strut. Fully inflate the bladder, put it under water and squeeze short lengths of it one bit at a time and you'll probably see a pin hole leak show up somewhere.
good luck,
paul
Paul

schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Post by schuss8899 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks for all the input, this has been a freaky kind of leak. Its there when the kite is fully inflated but when just the individual strut is inflated for inspection, it holds air all night long. I will have to bathe with this one and look for mr. bubble.....

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Post by Safe_Cracker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm

schuss8899 wrote:Thanks for all the input, this has been a freaky kind of leak. Its there when the kite is fully inflated but when just the individual strut is inflated for inspection, it holds air all night long. I will have to bathe with this one and look for mr. bubble.....

Repeat what you just said, individual strut for inspection please explain trying to crack this one. Did you try pinching all the struts closed just inflating the LE? If you did and it holds air then it isn't the LE lol it is in one of the struts, hoses or valves leading to the LE. The thing about single point inflation is as long as the strut clips are open any leak anywhere on the kite can cause the whole rig to deflate. Did you check the struts also? Get yourself a spray bottle 3/4 water and 1/4 dish soap like dawn or joy, mix it up good. Now go along the LE underside and spray, if there is a leak it will bubble. If you don't find it then spray the struts, valves and tubes. If there is a leak it will find it. Now I myself had a really PITA leak caused by dune grass, it wouldn't leak out of the kite but in the kite it leaked good. This is because the bladder is under more pressure in the kite then out, whic under same pressure it would pop. I pulled the bladder after I found the proximity of the hole(s) then I pumped it up a bit without deforming it and checked for the same hole NADDA!!! I was pissed couldn't find them no matter how much I sprayed. I dried the bladder added a touch of talc and reinserted, zipped up then re inflated sure enough I found it again WTF?? The holes were too small to be found under lesser pressure, hmmm. Holes too small well why not make them bigger they're just going to be patched anyways? So what I did was spray the area while still in the kite pinpoint the area within a couple mm and use a fine sewing needle to puncture the area, now I have a hole large enough to find haha works like a charm. Use the smallest needle possible you want to fit between the material fibers not through them....

Polo.

tog0713
Zen Levitator

No Bladder Leaks with Peter Lynn....

Post by tog0713 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Reading these posts on fixing bladder leaks make me happy I'm on Peter Lynn kites which will fly with gaping holes in the skin. These holes when they happen you can easily fix with spinniker repair tape. Performance wise I never feel like I'm suffering compared to the latest tubes and you don't need to pump them up. They rarely hit the water due to their much lighter weight than LEI's. When they do they relaunch with ease.

Regards,
Tim

gbleck
Master of Kite

Post by gbleck » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Use a hose sprayer like the one you get spray fertalizers in and fill the resivour with soap.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet