Sunday, April 8th - Indiana Dunes State Park

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Sunday, April 8th - Indiana Dunes State Park

Postby sklar1000 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:07 am

I am up here from Houston visiting relatives in Chesterton, Indiana. I had a fun ride at Indiana Dunes State Park yesterday. I had read about Miller Beach and Mt Baldy, and assumed riding was permitted. In Texas, there are few if any limitations about where one could ride.However, when I got back and dug into some of the forum topics, I started to wonder if kiteboarding was allowed at the park? When I read about the surfer who had been arrested in Chicago, and the educational efforts you guys have apparently been making, I decided I better ask what is and isn't permitted before I screw something up for the community. Not surprisingly, I am watching the forecast, and hoping that the rabbit delivers wind tomorrow.

Great website, great community.
sklar1000
Kiter Noob

Re: Sunday, April 8th - Indiana Dunes State Park

Postby adseguy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 pm

I believe their are no restrictions there. Just make sure to follow the signs that say no trespassing due to the dunes fragile nature. Lots have people have landboarded there so I think your OK unless someone else can chime in from that area.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Re: Sunday, April 8th - Indiana Dunes State Park

Postby skysurfr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I can't remember who checked into this one. It may have been Gus. With several free spots close by, I think we decided it wasn't worth negotiating with the State PArks in Indiana. I think it's "not allowed" but not specifically banned. Re-stated...it's not on a list of allowed activities. Last I remember, someone was allowed to finish their session and politely asked "not to do that here anymore". With Miller , Marquette, Beverly Shores, and MC so close and usually empty, it wasn't worth the effort.

Hosier Daddy? Do you remember?

Mike
Mike

'07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish LocalTeam Rider. GoPro Cameras! 12M 10m 08 Naish Pivot's!
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Return to Where to Ride Today